Saturday, February 4, 2012

In Search of a Hobby

Ta da! At last I have my blog in working order...sort of...

After a recent unexpected setback my dad called and asked, "So are you back on top after your big setback?" "No!" I said as I burst into tears. After I told him all about it my dad abruptly asked, "Do you have any hobbies?" Having spent the last 5 years engulfed in academia and obsessed with grades while getting my degree I told him of course I didn't have any hobbies. He told me that studies have shown that individuals who have enjoyable hobbies are proven to be more successful because they do better work and don't burnout quickly, and that maybe I should look into getting a hobby. thus the quest began.

First I interviewed my husband. "Hun, what are my hobbies?" "Since I've known you? Dating me, hiking the Y, wedding planning and school." Strike one.

Next, I asked my friend Chelsey. "School? Cooking? Organizing? Organizing can be a hobby, right?" I think she was trying to convince herself more than anything since we are both perpetual organizers. In the end we decided maybe bargain shopping could be a hobby of mine since I really like shopping at DI. My husband didn't think that was such a great idea.

Finally, in desperation I googled hobbies. From my search I came up with a list of potential hobbies.

  • Blogging
  • Bodybuilding
  • Bonsai Tree (just need to talk my husband into letting me buy a $40 plant) 
  • Cursive
  • Church Activities 
  • Cloud Watching 
  • Antiques 
  • Cooking (only an option when I am not working as a cook) 
  • Crocheting 
  • Entertaining Guest 
  • Exercise 
  • Herb Garden (got my first plant today!) 
  • Handwriting Analysis 
  • Hiking (someday I will be able to run the Y) 
  • Journal writing (also a family goal) 
  • Kitchen Chemistry (think Alton Brown
  • Spanish 
  • Mediation 
  • People Watching 
  • Reading 
  • Visiting the Elderly 
  • Old Movies 
  • New Moview 
  • Shooting (just got a little .22 pistol) 
  • Old Houses 
  • History 
  • Yoga 
  • Dancing 
  • Research 
So far so good! I've tried a new hobby every day and we'll see which ones are keepers. 

1 comment:

  1. Blogging is a great thing to do. Julie and Heather use it as a on line journal. We also get to see all the fun things they are doing and pictures, we love it. I hope it's as fun for you.

    ReplyDelete